Em and Ash

Em and Ash

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Day 5, Tryin to stay alive

So I thought I'd give you a potty training update. I reread my last 3 posts and things just sounded so positive.

Then today happened.

Though the days have been progressing very well, the nights have started to take a toll on us. I think it is a mixture of Em wetting the bed and the time change. Since we started potty training, she has been waking up around 6:15am. Her normal wake up time is around 7:30.
Last night she woke up at 1:30 wet. It took an hour to clean it up and get her back to sleep. Then she woke again at 5:20 this morning and would not go back down. Both of us were tired and cranky. She screamed every time I tried to put her on the toilet. By 9am she had pee'd in the potty once and on the floor 5 times. By 9:15 we were both sobbing just as David was coming home. He swooped in and saved the day by separating us and pulling some major Daddy duty. At 10:30 she basically fell asleep in her highchair during an apple sauce snack and slept till 12:30. (nap is normally from 1-3ish)

The afternoon/evening was better, maybe one or two accidents. Mommy got out of the house for a while. And Emery was in a better mood. Things just flowed a little better. No pun intended.

All of this just made me think, why am I making this so hard? Emery is just like me in the sense that without sleep, we do not function. Five days without enough sleep, we are bears. The method says, wake them up to go to the bathroom and put them back down. Yeah right! Not my child. Ever heard of the old saying, never wake a sleeping baby? This directly applies to Emery. After some reassurance from friends that she WILL finally get it, I finally got some clarity. Why am I trying to potty train her at night as well as day? Why not master one first and then the other? Am I in a hurry? NO.

Tonight, Em is wearing a diaper. See you at 7:30am.

2 comments:

Mrs. Southern said...

You have no idea how much I have enjoyed reading about Emery's potty training days. You write the funniest stuff and I literally bust out laughing because I can hear you saying this stuff. I know you are proud of Emery but I'm proud of you because that is one tough task to potty train and some people take it for granted that it should just happen overnight. Girl, some days are just tough for me and we aren't even walking or potty training at 11 months over here. Don't worry I'l be calling you in 2 years for tips!

Lindsay said...

I'm sure I'll have many tips to give. As of right now, I'm just trying to stay sane and keep the laundry going. I'm surprised the washer hasn't died of exhaustion. It is so hard not stress out about this. We had a contractor come out yesterday to give us an estimate on hardwood in the living room. This carpet has to go!